tête - à - tête
We are late. Again. I think ahead to tell the twins to go to the bathroom before we run out the door. Austin is in and out in the matter of seconds. Alaina takes her time. We get Austin's shoes on. We clean up. I grab the keys and my purse. Austin and I lock up the house and still no Laina. What is taking that girl? Austin has now started reading a book and I start the Laina chant. "Laina let's go. Laina, move it. Come on Laina. Can you hear me girl?! LAINA!" Finally I run out of things to do, so I headed over to the bathroom. Exasperated I stare at the girl kicked back on the pot. "Laina! You done yet?" "No." "Well, have you gone pee?" "Yep." "Do you have to go poo?" "Nope." Now I'm beyond riled up. "Okay then. What are you waiting for?!" At that moment Alaina looks me in the eyes and with a fair amount of attitude, puts up her hand to stop me talking and sounding more like a bugged teenager than anything else she says, "Mom! I'm talkin' to Jesus."
My mouth drops open but I can't think of anything to say so I turn and walk back to Austin. As I leave I hear Lainy mumbling under he breath. Probably telling Jesus how rude & impatient her Mama is.Here is my sweet Ethan with a Happy Meatball meal. Strangely enough the monsters were only really happy to eat the eye-balls. The cheerful asparagus was a harder sell.

Today at church Valerie stopped me and told me how polite the kiddies are. "Aha...we have you fooled." But she insists, "No, all during Primary we are interrupted by constant little hands waving around and little voices shouting out, "Excuse me!" Yeah. Polite. Another example of this would be our conversation in the car on the way to church today. I had run through the house look for Alaina's purse that she had lost before running out to the car empty handed.
Laina, "Where is my purse?"
Mom, "I couldn't find it anywhere. I guess you don't get it today,"
Laina, "Ah mama!"
Ethan, "Did you look in the play room?"
Mom, "Yes I looked everywhere."
Ethan, "Excuse me Mama but you are lying. It is in the the play room."
There is my oxymoron personified. My polite/rude child. Oh, and let's not forget correct. The purse really was in the play room.
And here are the results of our entire harvest this year. One little cherry tomato. Many other fruits and veggies were planted but the tomato was the sole survivor. I took a couple of pictures of it and couldn't decide which one to post...so you got both. Which is your favorite? The one with Ethan would have been cooler if his hand didn't look like it was disconnected from his body. Just a floating hand.
But this one might trick you into believing that I grew a giant tomato instead of a tiny cherry one. The dilemma. Sigh.
3 comments:
i guess hanging out on the toilet must run in the scribner family. i give yve 45 minutes to get ready in for school in order to compensate for the times in which she is on the toilet for ten minutes or so. she is usually telling herself stories. what is with these little girls. great work on your little tomato
One cherry tomato?! One?!! That was actually the funniest part of this post to me.
I know...right? Forget the other dozen plants we planted. If we were going to get one tomato...you'd think we'd get at least a handful of others and not just one.
Post a Comment