Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Day!

We don't get these very often. In fact this is our first and may be our last snow day of the year. Even now, the sun has come out and the snow has begun to melt. As soon as the kids woke up they were aching to get out into the middle of it. Since school was closed (I know...we are such babies here) we all got to go out and roll around in it. It was so much fun to watch the kids throw snowballs, make snow angels and eat all the snow they could handle. The weather was calm and warm and the snow was fluffy white softness. After the kids were frozen through, we came in and filled up on hot chocolate with marshmallows.



After we warmed up we gathered together in front of the TV to watch the inauguration. I was so moved by President Obama's speech. It was wonderful to have a president give such a eloquent speech (crazy that his speech writer is only 27...so I heard). I loved the line about how America would reach out the hand of friendship to all other countries if they would first unclench their fist. Something like that. I also loved the references to how far we've come from the sheer determination and work of our forefathers. All those unnamed heroes that have bought us our freedom with their sweat and tears, all because they wanted a better future for their children. I did feel a sad that President Bush's work wasn't acknowledged. I didn't agree with a lot that he did, but he did carry the mantle of the Presidency with respect and diligence. He is also a part of the fabric of our history and desired the best for all of us. I'm exhausted just trying to run our little household. But I did love President Obama's speech and I hope he can continue to inspire Americans to step forward to work together to improve our country and lives. American's have an uncanny ability to accomplish amazing things when spurred on by hope, faith, determination & inspiration.
I also was fresh from watching Martin Luther King's entire "I have a Dream" speech. I don't think I've ever seen that in its entirety. (They played it on CNN yesterday.) It was so moving and emotional for me to watch. I can't imagine how hard it would be for King or anyone listening to him that day to believe that we would be watching our first African American President be sworn into office nearly 45 years later. I don't think the kids will remember this day but I was glad that they were able to watch it. I'm so glad I was able to see it.

On a more silly note. Here is a small video of the kids caught playing together. Enjoy:

3 comments:

Jim and Steph said...

how fun you got snow. yve had so much fun in the snow in utah; she had a hard time leaving it. i loved reading your thoughts on the inaguration. it was truely amazing. oliver and i have been watching cspan all day; i just didn't want to miss any part of it. it was hard holding back the tears. i didn't want oliver to worry. apparently yve watched in while in class which i was glad to hear. what an exciting new time for our country.

Anonymous said...

This reminded me of the first time we saw snow in Colorado. We had just moved from Florida, and had nothing fitting for a romp in the snow. But we were so excited to wake up and see 2ft deep that we ran out and played until we were drenched and nearly frozen. I bet the kiddies loved it!!!

Doug and Cecile said...

My thoughts exactly on the innauguration. I couldn't keep my eyes off of the TV the whole day--mesmerized. It's really a great time in history. Now I wonder who the guy is with Noelle in the picture above. Tell me everything please. Love, Mom (Yes, Noelle, you can call me Mom too)