Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Souffle who became Souf-flat.
A sad little story about the little souffle who couldn't.

I thought I had it under control. Sure, Rob's been gone all Spring Break. Not a problem. It is also true that I got home about an hour after I thought I would. Bring it on. I was confident that I could do it all.

So between running back and forth throwing the kids in and out of baths and cooking up a quick dinner of shrimp and rice, I may have gotten a little careless with the souffle. The recipe called for 1 cup of strawberry puree. I threw in over 2 cups of mashed. Isn't more sometimes more? Is it possible to ever have too much strawberry? Wouldn't chunky strawberry bits be little surprise bites of pure heaven? The recipe asked to scoop the mixture into little souffle dishes coated with olive oil. Ah...Pam will work. And who owns souffle dishes?

The oven beeped just as we were finishing our rice bowls. Alaina was beaming, she was so happy. I brought out the not-so-puffy souffle. Apparently chunks of yummalicious strawberries creates pockets of hot juice that prevents a souffle from souffing. Not only that but it pools at the bottom creating a slimy layer of mush. I'm also thinking that the oil on the pan kept the souffle from cementing to the sides. Not so much with the Pam.

We covered our soupy flat sponge pieces with piles of sugary strawberries and cool whip. Not too bad. We'll just title this one "Strawberry Souffle - Take One."

Here is my little princess getting almost exactly what she asked for.

3 comments:

Jim and Steph said...

you are definitely super mom

thehiattfamily said...

"A" for effort! That is all that matters in my book. (And it looks like its all that matters in your Princesses also.) You rock

Anonymous said...

Hey- it was still edible right!! :)