Thursday, November 08, 2012

Ethan for Office.

A couple of weeks ago Ethan mentioned something about running for Vice President at his school. It wasn't clear just what the process was but in the end he just said that it was something that they do in class. The subject was dropped and forgotten.

This last week, Robert was gone on a trip. I was keeping everything mostly under control. Dinner was fed to the kids. The dishes were kept up. The packing was slowly getting done. In fact, the first half of the week was a breeze because Mom and Dad Scribner came down for a few days to hang out. Mom canned a bunch of fruit and while Dad played with Jason, I was able to move through a bunch of boxes.

 But all good times have to come to an end and by Saturday, they were off again. So, Monday night I thought that I was really doing pretty well. Homework was done.  Dinner was made and eaten.  I even took an hour and rode bikes with the kids around the neighborhood. For a school night, I'd have to say, I was doing a pretty bang up job.

 By 8 o'clock, I was exhausted. I had already put baby to bed and herded the twins up to their rooms. That's when something finally clicked in Ethan's head and he blurted out, "I have to run for Vice President tomorrow and I need a speech and a POSTER!!!!!" What are you gonna do?

 We spent the next half an hour writing his speech. (He told me what to write and I typed it out.) Then, because for some reason he believed that a typed out speech wasn't going to work, he insisted on writing it out by hand. (I'm sure at some point his teacher had said the words, 'write out a speech' and we all know how literal my sweet Ethan is.) We got to bed really late and I woke him up early so that we could make a poster.

 He was so excited and so very sure that he was going to win. ("We have more boys in our class and the only other person trying to be vice president is a girl!")

 Here is his speech. The only idea I really gave him was the silly suggestion box. He completely came up with the second half himself, which I thought was very clever and ended up being a huge hit in his class. He really, really wanted to end the speech by saying that he would give all the kids ice-cream sundae parties every week, but I assured him that it was better not to offer something he couldn't deliver:

My name is Ethan Jones.  I am running for Vice Preident at Glen Taylor School.  This is some information that I would like toshar with you why I would be a good Vice President for the school.  I would help the President create fun activites for every grade.  First, Second, Third, Forth, and Fifth.

I am a hard worker.  This is what I would do for the kids.  I want to work for you!  I want to hear your ideas too.  I would let people put ideas in the suggestion box.  That way, I can get your ideas for the school.

I am a very kind person, but I don't like bullying.  To stop the bullying, three people from Forth and Fifth grade each week would go around the playground at the morning recess and watch over the kids and see if anybody is being bulliedc or just lonely.  If they see someone being bullied, tow people from the group will stay with the kid and be his or her friend for the recess.  The rest of the group will still watch for bullying or lonely kids.

I would be a good Vice Presiden t for this school so vote for me.  Ethan Jones, for Vice President.  It eh Season for ETHAN!

Thank you.

(He also wanted to end the speech by starting a chant of his name with the class...Ethan! Ethan! EEEAAAATTTHHHANNN!!! I also shot that one down although I wish I let him try. I was just worried that he might have been the only one chanting. :)


I decided to surprise the kids and pick them up from school that afternoon. Plus I was anxious to find out what happened with Ethan. The bell rang and swarms of kids moved around me. Finally, after a few minutes, I spotted the twins walking towards me. A few steps behind them, I saw Ethan. He was shuffling his feet, carrying his poster low on the ground with his face held in a tight frown. When he looked up and saw me, he quickly shook his head, before his cheeks flushed bright red and his angry look shifted just enough to melt into angry tears. It's a moment that breaks every Mother's heart just a little bit. He's a big boy now, but not too old to collapse into Mom's for a little comfort for just a minute. With his eyes shut tight he managed to haltingly say, "I.....can't...(sniff sniff) ...believe.....I..(more tears)....lost to.......(gasp!).........to a girl!" Poor sweet baby. Managing to find a small amount of composure, his tears turned more accusing then broken and he pushed back. "She promised them ice cream sandwiches every week! If I said that, I would have won!!" Then the tough guy disappeared again and he leaned back in for another hug, muttering. "I only lost by three votes. The teacher even said she couldn't give them ice-cream but it doesn't matter, they still voted for her."

It took an emergency trip to the crepe shop and to Trader Joes to pick out whatever the kids wanted for dinner to work our way through the seven steps of grief, but on the way home, we finally reached Acceptence. "I'm still very sad that I lost..but....when is Ryan coming over to swim?"


(p.s., I took these pictures of him a week later, when he was able to have a bit of humor about it all.)

In the end we found out that the teacher even voted for him and after the girl won she asked Ethan if she could use his idea about the bullies. I believe she even offered to have him help her if she won the rest of the elections with the other 4th grade classes. I couldn't have been prouder of Ethan. I would never, in a million years, even consider the idea of running for office, especially since he is brand new to the school and doesn't know anyone. He really believed he could win and was absolutely shocked when he didn't. I love that kind of thinking.

Ethan is a very impulsive boy which gets him into trouble but I realize that it can also be a gift not to dwell so much on the 'what if's...' that come with over thinking things. And what he wrote in his speech is true. He is a hard worker and a very kind boy. I am very, very proud to be his mother.

*******************

And just to add another feather to his cap, a couple weeks later, Ethan was awarded his class' Citizenship Award.  Apparently, this is given to the kid who is the best behaved and the best example to his/her fellow students.  Ethan.  My Ethan.  This is the same boy who quit 1st grade.  The same child in second grade, who would be in trouble for not sitting still, running down the hall, cutting in line for the water fountain, and shouting at a student - all within 5 minutes.  The very same kid who, in third grade, was found hanging off the wall.  Literally.  (He put on his backpack while it was hanging up on a hook.  He managed to keep it on while his feet dangled a few inches off the ground.)

And here he is getting the Citizenship Award.  Every year, I've watched him do his very best to follow the rules and please his teachers.  It has been a rough road for him to travel.  A road that despite its obstacles has also been paved with small, albeit, significant successes.  There will be plenty of bumps in the future, however, today it is nice to see his hard work being recognized.


And not to boast.   (but I'm gonna.)  The same day he brought home that award, he found out that he made it into the choir.  He had to actually tryout to get in.  He announced his attention to go to the tryouts in the same manner he had when he wanted to be Vice President.  About 10 minutes before we had to be there.  Ethan was on cloud nine when he gave me all the good news.  

I must also say that, that same day, Austin came home to say he had been chosen to be on the Student Council.  Since Alaina and Austin are in the same class, Alaina ran against him.  She told me that she wasn't chosen after the first vote and so she voted for her brother.  So sweet.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this move to Nevada is going to be a positive one.  

And just because, no post would be complete without it, I'll add a few pictures of the littlest Jones.

No comments: