A change of perspective
Laughing, they ran past me at each other’s heels. They always move in a group, chasing and running around each other. I continue to focus on my task. Peanut butter…check. Honey…check. Where’s the bread? Ethan, in the lead, screams out, “Come on! Chase me!” Everything with Ethan is spoken with exclamation points. The laughter passes back through the halls as I start spreading the honey onto the sandwiches. I've finished making the sandwiches before I realize the house has suddenly become very quiet. I put the knife down wondering what mischief they had gotten themselves into. Before I take a step, a slow and somber Ethan shuffles by, head down, shaking slowly back and forth. “no, no….no.” he mumbles. One step behind him is Alaina wearing the same forlorn expression. “no….no….” she whispers. And Austin with his blue eyes cast down has fallen just a step behind Laina. “no.” he says. The funeral-like procession passes by as my somber children wander into the living room. I’m fascinated and very curious. What could have happened to suddenly change their playful demeanor? Alaina peers over to me and say, “no…no mama. (huge sigh) scared. No no no.” “what are you scared of Laina?” I ask…but I’m only getting more head shaking. I grab a couple of hands and lead them back into their room to find the culprit. “What is it, guys?” I ask. Ethan breaks out in a mournful sigh, “we’re scared of the dark.” The twins concur with sad mumblings. Because we only have one lamp at the moment, there is no light in the twins room. I laugh…”oh, the dark? That isn’t something to be afraid of…. it’s fun!” Instantly three little continence’s brighten. Ethan shouts out, “yeah, it’s fun! Yeah!” They run around me, jumping and clapping…it’s fun! Whahoo. I guess it really is all in your perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment