Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It is one in the morning. Robert and the kids are fast asleep. And I am totally bummed out because I just finished Austin's quilt and there is no one to celebrate with me. So...it just you and me little blog. Whahoo for me!

Well, this quilt has seriously been the bane of my existence ever since I started it. For starters, I guess if I had ever finished geometry, I would have known that the 5 diamonds that I had created would not, in fact, perfectly fit together to make a 5 pointed star. I created the inside star to somehow convince the diamonds that they belonged together. The sky was equally confusing and frustrated to piece together and fit up against the star. I forgot all the secret tips that Cheryl, my quilting mentor in Colorado, ever taught me and so i managed to do it all wrong. This was true especially concerning the binding. My huge screw-ups there forced me to recreated those awful corners that were nearly the death of me. And in order to completely send myself over the edge, I decided that it was time to try quilting instead of tying the quilt to the back. This might not have been so bad had I been working with two straight pieces of material instead of the bulky, uneven, front that I had ended up with. But...I am finished. So, I'm not going to go back and fix all the problems anymore. I'm moving on. So, here it the final product, world:
I tried doing Austin's name on the back...not my best work ever, but at least it is legible.
Here is a lovely pictures of Robert holding the quilt. I briefly pulled him out of bed to hold it up...which he was decidedly unpleased with. It is a full sized quilt, so he had his arms stretched as high as they would go in order to get the bottom off the floor. Just look at those cute toes :)



Mom...this one is hard to see..but if you enlarge the picture you can see one of the fun stitches I used going around the sides. I used a gold thread which broke a million times (just like the lovely old lady at the fabric store told me it would) but it looks kinda cool, so I'm still glad I used it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!! You are truly amazing.
It's absolutely fantastic - no visible mistakes at all! :)
bean

Anonymous said...

I love it! The stitching you did in the last picture is amazing! My only attempt to quilt was for my brothers a couple of christmas' ago- whew! That was a month of all nighters and they weren't nearly as cute. One day you'll have to teach me.

Anonymous said...

Christy,

You are fantastic!!! A beautiful quilt. I love the fabrics you chose. Austin should treasure it forever. What a talented daughter-in-law I have. I'm so proud of you!

Mom Jones