Sunday, March 30, 2008

We went to a game night over at a girl friend's house the other night. Austin was already in bed so I tried to sneak in and pick him up without waking him. He looked so sweet huddled under his covers holding on to his white fluffy dog. He also had his other hand clenched for some reason. When I picked him up his eyes fluttered open and relaxed his fist. He took a few seconds to study his empty palm. Satisfied he remade a fist, put his head back on my shoulder and fell back asleep. He repeated this odd little gesture once I put him in his car seat. For the entire drive his outstretched hand was carefully kept in a tight fist. When we arrived at my friends house I put him down on a bed to sleep and said good night. He called me back and asked if I wasn't going to say goodnight to baby Clifford. Apparently that is who he was holding so carefully in his clenched hand the entire time.

After we got home that night, I carried my sleepy Austin back to his room. A few steps from his room he lifted up his head, looked into my eyes and said, "I have to go gas." Before I could respond he snuggled his head back into the crook of my neck, sighed and mumbled, "Hmmm. I do already." Is it possible to be simultaneously so cute and so gross.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Is it possible to be simultaneously so cute and so gross." Yes. Kids are kids. (And it's not just the boys) Don't you love them?!

-Grandma Jones