I always thought that I was queen of finding new and random places to take the kids. I now have to hand my title over to my friend Sara. She took us to the most obscure little store I think I've ever been over in old-town Matthews. E.M. Renfrow Co. General store transports you back at least 100 years the moment you step up to the front door. Out in front were cages of hens & a rooster for sale. Outside farm equipment, plants (some outside and some in a make-shift greenhouse,) soil and gardening tools were stacked and heaped in an ordered chaos. The facade of the building was crumbling where it stood and gave the impression of a rather small store. Once inside you quickly realize that the general store is, in fact, made up of several huge rooms each added as an afterthought. The first room was filled with all types of garage tools; hammers, screws, nails, saws, etc. Every wall space and aisle way was crammed with drawers and shelves haphazardly thrown together. Down a ramp a room opened up to farming equipment. "Do not trespass" & "Beware of dogs" signs were nailed to the top of the walls, a stuffed swordfish hung over the doorway, little baby chickens pecked away in their cages. Through the next door were piles of feed and soil bags. Off to the right was another room filled with farmhouse kitchenware. Cast iron pans and pots in one corner. Cases of mason jars next to all canning paraphernalia imaginable. Since we had all the kiddies with us, one double stroller and 4 runners, it was literally impossible to get a good look at 1/10 of the things sold in the store. I think I could have spent a good couple of hours exploring the place. Sara tells me that on Saturdays that there is a farmers market near the store and they have pigs and other small farm animals out to sale. Although I love San Luis Obispo's trendy farmers market with its bands and funnel cakes, it will be interesting to see what a real farmer's market is like.
Sadly enough I didn't get many good pictures of the inside of the store...next time I will.
After our blast to the past we headed off to a nearby park. It is just the kind of place I fall in love with. Off the main road, surrounded by trees, next to a fishing lake, covered picnic benches and not a lot of people around. And the best part was they had just enough swings to fit all six of our kids. Yeah! No being patience and waiting for our turn...which translates into no screaming and pouting. At noon Sara took the babies home to nap but we stayed and walked around the lake. The weather was perfect, in the low 70's and a blue sky. I love these kind of days.
1 comment:
Sounds fantastic!
Post a Comment