Happy Halloween!
This year was really fun because the kids really got into the whole costume thing and Halloween landed on a Friday. What a perfect combination! On Friday morning I got all three kids dressed up for school. It was only when we walked down to the bus-stop that we found out that Ethan's school doesn't 'do' Halloween. Apparently no costumes are allowed at all. So there I was trying to strip off Ethan's costume as the bus was approaching while Ethan was trying to keep his emotions under control. It wasn't a pretty sight. What made me even more upset was that I realized in just a few days his school is having all the kids dress up for their favorite book character...so it isn't the fact that kids dress up for Halloween, apparently it is just Halloween itself that they oppose. All they had to do was have their dress-up day a few days earlier and then all the kids could at least enjoy the holiday. It just doesn't make very much sense to me.
Although Ethan couldn't keep his costume on, the twins could. They loved having their little parade and playing in their costumes. Later that night a few of our neighbor friends and Sara & her crew came over to go trick-or-treating in a big group. The kids are still talking about how much fun they had.
A few days ago we all carved pumpkins. Let me rephrase that: a few days ago we all prepared our pumpkins for carving. Then Robert had each kid pick out a pattern and he then carved the pumpkins. You can see how intricate each of his pumpkins are. Mine is the plain-jane pumpkin...but I refused to let him carve mine as well.
2 comments:
I love the pumpkins! I can't believe they didn't let Ethan dress up! Remember how much fun that was. We had so many trick or treaters that we went through 10 bags of candy in just under 45 mins. And I was stingy- only two pieces per kid. Crazy! The little batmans were my favorite!
Yeah, for some reason public schools here frown upon Halloween. I could only have a fall treat, no halloween parties. As a kindergarten teacher I got away with doing a unit on nighttime animals that week, but no mention of halloween. So sad.
Your pumpkins are amazing and your kids precious. The food you made is incredible! You are my hero!
Post a Comment