I guess it is because at this age, babies really are a complete mystery. You have a vague idea what they will look like when they get older, but after that, you still don't know too much about their futures. They could end up being a rock star or rocket scientist. They could be President or a bum on the street. (Hey...if they are capable of the best choices, they are capable of the worst, right?) They might be brave or shy, coordinated or clumsy.
With my older three kids, although I admittedly don't know what their exact future holds, I have a pretty good idea forming in my head. Looking through my Mommy crystal ball, I see their strengths (even if they never see them themselves.) and their weaknesses (which they may also never accept or acknowledge). I worry, hope, fret, celebrate and marvel over them everyday. But their paths are beginning to take shape and my role as a guide has already begun to be tested. I strive to encourage and teach them in a way that I feel will best help them along. Some challenges I feel will unfortunately be inevitable, however, if we work things just right, I know they can all reach their potential. These are the things that keep a mother up at night with older children (I'm sure this only gets more intense with age.)But a baby. Sweet. New. Innocent. Fresh out of the oven. Right now the future holds only dreams and possibilities. It is all just this wonderful, slightly terrifying mystery and I am so grateful to once again have the privilege of watching it unfold, day by day.
I don't know what he'll be, but I'm putting my money down on being a 'lover.' :)A few days ago I tried setting up a little photo shoot for the boy. He wasn't too into it.

Ethan, on the other hand, thought it was the bee's knees. Isn't he just the cutest little babe you've ever seen?
(I swear, Ethan was wearing pants...but the shirt was thrown to the side as soon as we hit a scorching 60 degrees. What will that child do in Vegas?!) Ethan even tried to help encourage Jason with a belly shot (which only ended up in tears...poor baby doesn't like being on his his tummy-time these days.)

Speaking of silly kids. Ethan and Alaina decided to go out and play some soccer. Even though we haven't had any hint of warm weather, they both decided that since it was nice outside (translation: not raining) that they should wear shorts out to play. Even when they started experiencing frostbite, they stubbornly kept those shorts on. Thank goodness they let me talk them into jackets! Look how silly they look out there!
I get chills just looking at those bare little legs!
1 comment:
Jason is such a cutie!!! I can hardly wait to hold him again! Of course they were playing outside in shorts and jackets! No rain! Beautiful weather, if a little cold. Remind you of anyone?????
Post a Comment