Monday, June 11, 2012

Memorial Day 2012 


I love Memorial Day.  I know it sounds silly, but it has always been one of my favorite holidays.  It's just a little day tucked into the month of May; not so revered as Easter in April and not so grand as the Fourth of July.  It is a easy holiday to associate with camping, trips and BBQs but not so much else.  In fact, it is usually a challenge for me to find any real activities that celebrate the day. 

But I still love it.  It gives me a moment to look to the past and give thanks for the sacrifices and lives given for our freedom.  I love this country.  I love the hopes and dreams that I can whisper in my children's ears at night and know that in the morning, there is a real chance that they'll be able to obtain it.  I love waking each morning to the sound of my family instead of the sound of bombshells.  America is a land for dreamers and idealists.  Nothing is promised but anything is possible.  And it is the need for that chance - that possibility - that drives Americans to fight for our freedom.  

I have never personally done anything to physically defend our freedom.  That makes me feel a little ashamed of myself.  I wish I could say that I have, but maybe it is a little like music.  I can't play an instrument but I love the sound of a symphony.  I'm a great appreciator.  It may not be as valiant, but it is what I have to give.  

I hold a deep gratitude for families who give (and have given in the past) their fathers, mothers, siblings and children to the care of our country and especially for those men and women dedicated enough to give a portion, if not the entirety, of their lives.  Our country has seen everything from glory days to days of shame but in the end of it all, I see her as a boxing champion.  Worn, bloodied but still standing.  Still vibrant and strong.

I was happy when I heard that the cub scouts were being gathered together to put flags on the graves of former service men and women at Willamette National Cemetery.  They were able to get through most of the service and placement of the flags before the rain came down.   Austin was especially excited because this was his first (unofficial since his birthday wasn't for a week) cub scout activity.


And once it started raining, those kids still finished the job.  Look how wet and happy they look.  Well, they don't all look too happy, but I was informed that they were.  :)

Then, on Memorial Day, we took Mom and Dad Jones with us to visit the cemetery.  It was such a nice sight to see all those flags flying.  Alaina became a little too sad until Dad informed her  that most of the service men and woman in the cemetery had not died from fighting a war, but instead had served in the military and then gone on to live long, full lives as veterans.





Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

Tom and Annette said...

Memorial Day is special! So proud of the Cub Scouts for putting up all the flags. It was quite impressive!