Robert stayed home long enough so that we could all walk the kids to school together. I always think the first day of school is so scary and exciting. I'm always so amazed at how brave the kids are when they start. Especially Ethan. The twins have each other to lean on when things get scary, but since Ethan is the oldest, he gets to experience every new experience by himself. He's like an explorer, forging his way through the wild by himself. That might sound a little dramatic, however, this is elementary school we're talking about. (I don't even want to think about middle school!) I sit home and worry until those sweet kids of mine come back home and spill the beans about the good, the bad and the ugly of the entire day. Such sweet, brave, kids. I can't believe how much they've grown!
In this first picture, Ethan wasn't taking advantage of the one inch of height that he still has over Austin, so I made them retake it.
Ahh. That's better. Gotta squeeze out every picture he can get until Austin passes him up... (this year? Next?) No matter how tall Austin gets, Ethan will still watch out for him like the awesome big brother he is. And Ethan can rest assured that he will always be taller than little Laina.
Group picture. Proud Papa, adoring baby brother and weepy Mama. What a send off!
Right before school started (and our Hawaii trip) Robert and I took the kids to see Les Miserable. They have been looking forward to seeing this play since last year. They dressed up to the nines to go to their first broadway show and even though we have the nose-bleed seats that force us to watch the top of the actors' heads more than anything else, they were sitting at the edge of their seats the entire time. (Yes...from excitement, but I admit, it was also to see just a little bit better!)
I knew that Alaina would have the hardest time because of how emotional the play is. I had even tried to prep her several times by listening to the entire musical and carefully explaining the story to her so that she would be ready for all the sad parts. She managed to cry several times in the practice runs, but I thought she might be able to make it through the actual play okay.
As we progressed through the play, I was impressed at how well she was keeping it together. There were a couple of tears shed as people died but nothing out of control. That is, until we hit the last scene. The one where Jean Valjean finally dies and joins up with Fantine and Eponine. Oh, that poor child. It was just too much for her to bear and she melted into audible sobs. Robert lifted her up on his lap and she worked really hard at calming down, but it took a little while.
She is such a sweet soul. Of course, she loved every minute of it...she just can't help herself from becoming so emotionally involved in the storyline. I love that she is so empathetic, even though I know it embarrasses her. Fortunately for her, I believe that will be the most emotionally charged play they see this year. (Their next one is Wizard of Oz...that should be fine, right?)





1 comment:
Love the first day of school pics.
I've seen Les Miserable countless times, and still cry. My guess is that you did, too!
Post a Comment