One weekend in January, we found ourselves enjoying a perfectly warm Saturday afternoon. Yes. In January. That's Vegas for you. We wanted to head out to a park, but decided we should go somewhere we had never been. And then we decided that we needed to ride our bikes. All of us. It became clear to us that this was just a warm, bike riding afternoon. Now, it is actually hard to find good bike riding places around here that aren't just a glorified ride in the dirt. The desert doesn't always provide a scenic backdrop for leisurely family bikerides. It's more of a off-road, dirt bike kind of place. Finally, I found a wonderful park that looked flat, kid friendly and *gasp!* with some water! Almost too good to be true. So, we packed up 5 bikes and a bike stroller (that actually took a lot longer than we imagined it would) and we headed off to Wetland Park. Not only did this park promise some real live plants, it said it was just few mile loop...perfect ride for us.
By the time our packing the car/drive to the park/unpacking the car/set up the kids on bikes all happened, our beautiful afternoon had turned into a beautiful early evening. That seems to happen to us a lot more frequently than I would like to admit. Still. We were ready. We rode up to the park attrance and there it was. A small welcome sign that said, amid other things, No Bikes!
Well. Apparently we are a family that likes to live on the edge because as soon as I mentioned that little sign, Robert decided to throw caution to the wind and off he led our hoodlum gang on their contraband bikes into the park. I was feeling a bit guilty, and Lainey kept bugging me about it, but it was early evening and the park was pretty empty. (That was me rationalizing our rule-breaking venture) Still, after all that effort to get there, Robert couldn't imagine **** turning around. It was un-thinkable! At least for him, anyway. I was totally ready to go back home, or, better yet, WALK the path. Horrible! **** (that line was written by Alaina, while I was getting stuff done.)
Anyhoo. We rode around the loop and stopped by a little quiet inlet that we found by a pavillion. I decided to take a bunch of pictures of the kiddos, but by the time I got out the camera, the sun was setting. Everything came out a little dark, but not terrible.
















1 comment:
A fun family day! (What? No pics of the family on bikes?)
Post a Comment