Alaina
Sometimes I look at this girl and I am stunned to see just how grown up she is getting. Despite all her very vocal protests, she has definitely crossed over to the dark side...or as some, more mature people might say....crossed over to being a teenager. I, however, am not more mature. The Dark Side has been most certainly with us ever since Ethan hit 13. Austin has his own moody, hormone filled moments, although, not nearly as many as our resident red-head. Alaina, on the other hand, remains level headed, logical, compassionate and kind. I've always been told that girls are the worst when they hit their teenage years, and maybe that will be true. As it is now, my sweet Laina remains my saving grace in the chaos of tantrums (ethan/austin), smelly laundry (mainly Ethan) and noise (Ethan, Austin, Jason and sometimes little Emmett.) Every blue moon I hear her standing her ground with the boys, and sometimes she doesn't care to do her chores *gasp!*. And...dare I say it?...there have been a few moments of sarcasm. Shocking. I know. Although she is sitting right beside me, reading a book (naturally) and I know she'll be the only person in our family to actually read this post...I'm going to let you in on a secret. I am absolutely fine with her asserting herself. In fact, I wish she would stand up to her brothers more! Give them a taste of their own medicine, sometimes! I don't mind that chores make her grumpy. They should! They make me grumpy too. It's very natural. And sarcasm? Well, sarcasm and I used to be BFFs when I was younger. I finally started to kick the habit way, way back to....well, maybe last year. :) I'm working on it. Imperfection is just fine with me. A little character development isn't going to hurt anyone. I mean, I still prefer my sweet angel, but that's not going to be the case for anyone. How boring would that be?! So, here's to a little living on the edge every now and then. Maybe she'll not do a homework assignment and tell me she did. Perhaps she'll slam a few doors. It could happen. Perhaps she'll rob a bank and escape to the Bahamas. Well...she's smart enough to pull it off. Not knowing the future is just so exciting!
For now, here are a few silly pics I pulled off my phone.
She was just too pretty not to have a picture taken while passing by.
When I was unpacking my bathroom, look what I found? My wedding dress! I forced Alaina to try it on, because, let's face it, I'm not going to be able to even zip that dress up a little bit. Give that child a couple of inches and about 10 years, and I'll be ready for her to put it on for reals. (I'm sure it will be way too old fashion for her by then, so it was a good thing I got to see it now.)
Robert texted me this picture from downstairs. Gotta love the old dish soap & washing machine soap mix up. It's always a party when the bubbles flood out. (She doesn't look too pleased, does she?)
That's all folks. Just a few random pictures of this girl I love so much! She really is the best daughter, ever. I can't wait to see where the next few years take her!



1 comment:
Loved this post about Lainie - When she really turns to the dark side, that's when I get her and you can't have her anymore. We will spend all of our time working on "Lainie's Lair" and getting our fingernails dirty in the yard. She's been this pretty from day one - even with all the bruises on her face. I Love you Lainie, Grandma Scribner
Post a Comment