Wednesday, October 04, 2006


Little Alaina is definitely a daddy's girl. In fact, she has somehow managed to hook every boy in our family. Everyday I see the boys tripping over themselves to make her happy. Ethan will take toys away from Austin just to hand them over to her. Austin copies her every move. I don't think he would have learned how to walk if it wasn't for her pushing him along. He lights up every time she pays him attention. And of course Robert can't help himself from spoiling his little princess. He acts all tough with the boys and then melts like butter with Alaina. Time-outs seem to be a little shorter and scrapes and bruises are a little more tragic.

















I think I have her figured out though. She always seems to be paying those boys attention when they don't expect it. This morning she was rubbing Ethan's head while he was lounging on the ground. Every time she did it he would look back at her and both of them would laugh. And yesterday I caught her with her arm around Austin's shoulder while they watched a cartoon. (Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture). She is very nurturing to the boys...a little mama.

But sweet as she is, she is also a mastermind of mischief. And like any successful mastermind she is in constant need of willing accomplices. Those little monsters march around the house like a parade of trouble…with Alaina at the head. Together they raid the fridge, hide in the cupboards and turn the rooms upside down.
She was definitely the ringleader in the whole Austin-in-a-box experiment…
(Amazingly enough, Austin seemed to be having a good time as well.)















Just a note about Austin. This boy can be as precocious as his sister. I was busy reprimanding him for some naughty behavior today and just when I was in the middle of my serious, lengthy discourse Austin looked up at me with a exasperated face, pointed his little finger at my nose and emphatically stated, "The End!" I was so surprised it actually worked.


Conversation ended.

No comments: