Wednesday, January 28, 2026

May 12th I received one of the most raw, tender and emotional phone calls I have ever gotten.  My nephew Noah had died in a motorcycle experience just a few days before his 19th birthday.  The heartbreak and sorrow in Scott's voice was nearly too difficult to hear.  Noah had already received his mission call to Honduras and was ready to graduate high school in just a matter of a couple weeks.  It was a tragic accident.

Noah Scribner
May 12, 2025


2007-2025


I learned a lot of lessons in the days that followed that news.  I watched my brother and sister-in-law and their other children pull together in their grief.  From the moment they heard the news of the crash, to the moment they laid Noah to rest in the Provo cemetery, they recounted miracle after miracle that helped them process their son's loss and understand that he had people around him that cared for him when he died.  I've always known my brother to have a quiet strength within him, but this experience could have broken many strong men.  Jenny also imbued such grace and strength that I almost felt embarrassed at my awkward words of comfort.  The funeral was a beautiful celebration of life.  Scott spoke sweet words of remembrance.  Each of Noah's siblings spoke and it was amazing at the different role he played in each of their lives.  To end the funeral, Jenny sang a beautiful song, and then she played a recording of the testimony that Noah gave just a week or so before at their stake conference.  This voice from across the veil spoke with confidence of his faith in Jesus Christ and how excited he was to serve God by going on his mission.  It was the most moving thing I've ever heard.  If only that were all of our last words recorded on this earth.  Noah will be remembered as the vivacious, boisterous, adventurous young man that he was.  He is so loved and so missed.
 

At the viewing, the line to pay respects never seemed to end or diminish.  Noah, Scott & Jenny and their family are all very well loved.















We were able to gather a few times as just a family, which was comforting and healing.


During one of these gatherings, I found Nickel's brother.  Jenny's brother had taken him home.  I gave him a hug for Nickel.  :)



My trip to Utah was short and emotional.  The night before I left I was able to spend the evening with Mom, and Charlie, and later that night, Scott & Jenny.  It was a lovely end to a very hard, but inspiring and love filled weekend. 

There is something especially soothing about being in Mom's beautiful yard.  She works so very hard in keeping it beautiful, and sitting there in the evening light, there really isn't a view I'd rather look at.  












No comments: